Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Giving Things Up

Breastfeeding is the best thing ever, although getting started is difficult and painful (no really it is). Now I love that special time with Kate! The hardest part really is what I can and can't eat!

I already can't have wheat/gluten/sugar. I have sadly had to add to the list dairy, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and anything spicy. All this makes her super gassy and have terribly stinky yucky baby poo. Now on the up side it is really helping the weight melt off. On the other hand, especially during a growth spurt when I am soooo hungry, it is much harder to find a snack to eat.

I am amazed at the reading I do that says eat what you want, it doesn't affect your baby. What I eat, Kate eats and she has a growing and developing tummy and digestive system that absolutely is sensitive to things. I just have to remember to follow my instincts sometimes and know that I spend the most time with my baby and I know what she needs (well...most of the time).

I wouldn't trade that time together for the world and it is amazing what you are willing to give up when you are responsible for the well being of another.

I had 9 months to begin giving things up for a season and getting ready to have my life taken over by a child. Getting ready for a little person who would need my love, nurturing, silly faces, giggles, songs and full attention. For Steve and every new daddy, it is a bigger shock when a child enter the world. They were able to go along with business as normal while we women carry the little bambino in our tummies. It is not until that baby enters the world that they have to change things and make sacrifices. As a new mom, I of course, thought this would be no problem and Steve would be happy to do it. But I had to realize that as he is willing to help with anything, but it is also a big shock to his life that he now has to get used to.

He must die to himself and the freedom he had. I struggled with this thinking he just didn't want to, but I now know that this is something that every dad deals with. They did not have the 9 months to prepare as we did. They don't have that motherly "instinct". Now they must think about how do I provide? How do I eat well? How do I sleep? How do I spend time with my wife? How do I give focus at home and at work? How do I find time for friends? How do I have time for myself? Time with God? Fun? When I think about it he will actually have to adjust quicker than I did.

She is the best baby and no matter how much we must lay down for this season, it is completely worth the short amount of time we have with her, while she is cuddly and tiny. Soon she will be crawling all over!





No comments:

Post a Comment